Thursday, July 18, 2013

Dumplings and Birthdays


            Hello again from the smoggy city of Tianjin! On a side note before I get into the meat of the blog, thank you everyone for the wonderful birthday wishes.  It was so nice to hear from my family and friends back home! I miss you all dearly and love you all very much! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
            Ok so things have been pretty busy around here the last few weeks. Work is going great and I even found a language exchange buddy whom I meet with on Thursdays.  I help her with English for an hour which is fun because I know NOTHING about grammar and when she asks why the word would and wood are spelled different but pronounced the same, I get to smile and say say, “I dunno…it just is.” Yeah, I bet that really clears things up for her…. In return I get an hour Chinese lesson, which is mostly me asking how to say sentences vital to my existence, such as, “Please don’t talk about me in Chinese while I’s standing next to you, because I understand and it’s awkward.” “Where can I buy a screwdriver?” “Why are you so surprised I can feed myself with chopsticks? I’m not impressed you can use a spoon…” “Do you have these pants in a bigger size my? My American tushy doesn’t fit in a size 0!” and most importantly “Please don’t smoke in the elevator right next to the clearly marked NO SMOKING sign. It forces me to suffocate for a 31 floor ride down to ground level and therefor lowers my overall happy meter for the day.” Yey!
I am still on the lookout for actual Chinese classes, but as it turns out there aren’t too many foreigners here so it’s proving a bit more difficult than I imagined. I’ve also gotten the chance to explore outside my neighborhood more, and am getting better oriented in this decent sized city.  The other day I took a walk down to the river at night when it was all lit up and there were people dancing and selling things and even a few older men fishing!! It was pretty neat to see.  It kind of made me wish people did stuff like that back home, or maybe they do just not in Idaho haha.  Next time I won’t bring a purse that I have to worry about so I can join in the fun!! Sorry the video is sideways…I can’t for the life of me figure out how to rotate it, ugh technology.  The weather is getting pretty hot but we have the occasional rainstorm blow through just long enough to clear the air and flood the streets for a day. It’s a real treat.
Also one of the girls at work asked me over for lunch to her house the other day where her parents showed me how to make dumplings and let me pick cucumbers in the garden!! Her Mom is a pro and makes like two dumplings per second (exaggeration…sort of) and her Dad showed me how to make picked cucumbers.  Not like we think of pickles, but still very delicious! It was a real hoot, although turns out I have a lot of practicing to do before I can make pretty dumplings…mine were more like dough blobs really.  After lunch we just chatted and watched Chinese Idol (Yes, it’s a real thing AND it is EXACTLY like American Idol…but I don’t recognize the judges…dear God, what is this world coming to?!), and they even sent some leftover dumplings home with me! What a treat!!
            To add to the fun, last week was my birthday and I had a great time!! I was given this tiny cake and some other adorable gifts, including a doll, a mug with a Chihuahua on it, and a monkey purse.  I felt so loved! On the Sunday after my birthday all the girls and I went out for a big hot pot dinner (boiling pots of broth in which you cook meat and noodles and veggies…so simple and so so good) at the mall to celebrate and I felt really lucky to have such great co-workers and friends in my new city!!!
            Although I did not really celebrate Fourth of July this year (I know…shame on me!) I received this picture of how Charlie spent his holiday.  Such a great picture right!! Thanks a million for getting this to me Angela, you’re the best doggie-sitter ever and I miss you both!
Last but certainly not least, just in case anyone is dying to be my pen pal, this is my mailing address here in Tianjin (Yes it ALL has to go on the envelope and it’s probably just easier to print it off and glue it on):





Madison MacNichol
天津市南开区
北城街245
吉的堡少儿英
300000, 天津
中国

Tianjin Nankai qu
Beichengjie #245
Jidebao shaor Yingyu
300000, Tianjin
China

Also please don’t send much more than letters and absolutely nothing of value.  Mail customs has a dirty little habit of opening foreign incoming packages, taking all the goodies and forwarding the empty box to the recipient.  True story.
Well I think that’s about all to report for now! I miss you all! Please let me know how things are going in your neck of the woods (Al Roker moment sorry ;). xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment