Sunday, April 28, 2013

First Week of Teaching



            Well I survived my first week of teaching!! It is quite a bit more work than I originally imagined. But you know what happens when you think life is all fun and games?!  It smacks you right between the eyes with a class of rowdy prepubescent boys. Of course I am being overly dramatic, but I kid you not when I say teaching is not for the faint of heart.  I now understand why there are so many terrible teachers out there. It is hard work and easy to just give in to not caring.  I also now have a strong compulsion to write to every teacher I ever thought was even slightly good at his or her job and thank him or her for not murdering us all right there in our seats.  So Mrs. Sylvis, Mrs. Englbright, Ms. Dine, Mr. and Mrs. Reddick, LT, Mr. Smith, and anyone else I forgot: Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
            The past week my mornings are taken up with lesson preparation before I teach for 1 hour at the Korean Center.  In my class I lord over ten boys ages 10-13 years old…that’s right, not a single girl in sight but me…and I get them right after lunch and recess…joy.  They are energetic to say the least, but all of them are sweet and if I can get them excited about English are happy to apply themselves.  On Friday I had them do country reports. Since it is a beginner level class, instead of doing written reports, we made collages and each boy got a different SE Asian country.  It was actually super fun although they spent half the time giggling over the magazine photos of women and cutting out pictures of motorcycles and racecars…some things never change… ;)
            In the afternoons I co-teach the hotel bar staff with another teacher in training and that is a real hoot.  There are about six women in the class and we really have a ball together.  They are all really sweet and goofy and eager to learn which is nice.  Also because they work in a hotel, they actually get to use their English skills often and it’s very rewarding to hear them improving outside the classroom.   In the late evening I have Chinese class, which is basically a two-hour painful reminder of how much I have forgotten in three years. It’s shameful really, but it’s coming along quite nicely.
            This weekend was the first weekend since I’ve been here that was all mine!  On Saturday my friend Matt and I had a day out on the city exploring and visiting friends of his. We had a great lunch at a local market and that afternoon we went to Tuol Sleng Museum.  It was quite a sobering experience. For those of you who are a bit rusty on your history, in the mid 1970’s Cambodia was thrown into somewhat of a civil war. 
The government in power made the decision to reform the entire country into an agrarian society. They liquidated the all the cities, relocated the people to work camps, killed anyone educated or with ties abroad, and indoctrinated the countries children into what was to be the “new society” where education was abhorred and only hard work was of any value.  The name of this group was called the Khmer Rouge and the head honcho went by Pol Pot.  Sound familiar?
            Tuol Sleng was a high school built in the in the heart of Phnom Penh in the early 1960’s and when the Khmer Rouge took over the city, turned it into a prison that went by the name S-21.  Over a period of three and a half years thousands of Cambodian citizens were held there on mostly fictitious charges, tortured, and eventually killed. The Khmer Rouge went to great lengths to document the intake, torture, and disposal of every inmate, whose photos now line the walls. This school turned prison turned museum is a bit much to describe on a blog, and you probably wouldn’t want to read it if I did.  All I will say is that the place has an indescribable presence.  Chalkboards still hang on the walls where you can see writing never fully erased along side bullet holes.  It is surreal. 
When the Vietnamese overthrew the Khmer Rouge and took control of Phnom Penh, the first images of Tuol Sleng made their way into the media. Of the thousands who passed through the prison there were only seven survivors, and only two are alive today.  Yes, those are human skulls. Dear God, forgive us for what we have done to each other in this world.
The truly staggering thing about it all is that conflict between the Vietnamese and Khmer Rouge went on until 1992.  Not only is that within my lifetime, but also means this county has been at peace for only roughly 11 years.  I try to remind myself of that when I get frustrated with the infrastructure, flooded streets, unreliable cell towers, and power outages.  They are rebuilding a society from the ground up so cut them some slack.
            Ok, enough with the heavy. If you are like me and have an interest in history I recommend renting a movie called The Killing Fields. It is about the genocide here and is not as gory as the title suggests, but is very informative.  We took a tuk tuk from the museum just in time to get caught in a serious rainstorm and arrive at to our hotel to find the whole place flooded!  All the rain overwhelmed the roof drains so the water just poured into the 7th story stairwell and subsequently all the way down to the lobby.  Along with the hotel staff, we spent the evening pushing mini title waves down the stairs with brooms, towels, and squeegees. It was actually kind of fun to be honest. We got all the mess cleaned up and now you would never even know. ;) It's hard to see in the pic, but that is a waterfall on the 5th floor stair well!!
Next week will be just like the last and on Friday I will be a certified ESL Teacher!! O boy!! I know I told some of you I was planning a trip to Thailand for a few days after the course, but instead I have decided to stay here in Cambodia and explore some other regions of the country. I have been so busy with school, that in my four weeks here I have not gotten to explore the world around me as much as I’d like.  Cambodia, I am just not done with you yet.  So that is the plan, and next time you visit the blog I will be graduated and on my way to becoming a real teacher!!! I love and miss you all dearly. Extra kisses to Mr. Charlie Pants. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment