Sunday, April 7, 2013

Goodbye USA, Hello Cambodia!!

       Ok ok, so I know I said only the blog title would change but I decided to just create a whole new look and return to the old one when appropriate.  For those of you who don't know, the Mandarin word laowai, means "silly foreigner" (no bad connotation). When I studied in China, I sometimes  forgot what my real name was because everyone and their dog just called me laowai, so I found the new blog name appropriate.  Also, I won't put my Cambodian phone number and mailing address up here, but if you would like it, just shoot me an email and I would be happy to give it to you! Just remember calling is for emergencies only as it is expensive!

Ok so here we go:


            Leaving loved ones is never easy, nor is it an exactly pleasant experience.  However, in order to accomplish most oversized goals and adventures, it must be endured.  Wednesday and Thursday were filled with a flurry of exchanging phone numbers and emails with everyone I know and many  many….many  goodbye hugs.  Luckily my good friend Patrick had come over from out of state had come for a last minute visit and was very good at keeping me busy and my spirits up. Thanks bud!! We all had a fantastic Easter together in Riggins by the river and what better send off than dinner with the girls and late night viewing of Jurassic Park.  It was great.
            Thursday morning was very hard for me, as I had to drop Charlie off with my friend Angela, who will be the first in a long line of doggy sitters. I won’t lie. I bawled like a baby. It was awful.  I told myself he was in good hands (which he is) and dove with Mom and John to Boise where we had a fabulous dinner at Barbacoa. I was at the airport at 8am on Friday. I made a few last minute phone calls from the SEATAC airport on my layover, painted may nails, did some preflight yoga (odd looks be damned!) and mentally prepped myself for a 12 hour flight, a tight layover, and another 6 hour flight. 
As I was getting settled in my little seat thinking of how glad I was I brought snacks to save me from the airplane food that most of my companions would soon be consuming, I remembered something I had forgotten since my last trip to Asia.  Asian women are lovely. Does that sound creepy? I hope not, because I mean it in the most graceful and becoming sense of the word.  Cross my fingers, hope to die; I swear those stewardesses glided through the air down the airplane isles.  I was suddenly ashamed of my wretched posture and slouchy clothes. Note to self: try it their way once in a while.
Well, as expected, the flights were long and the layover was rushed and I was in Phnom Penh before I knew it.  I was collected at the airport by a Khmer man named Smith in one of my personal favorite modes of transportation: tuk tuk.  It was 11:30pm and still 90 degrees out but the open air ride felt amazing after so much plane time.  It was a sketchy (nice way to put it) 20 min tuk tuk ride to my hotel/home for the next month as we regularly drove on the other side of the road, viciously abused the horn, shouted at passing motos (also going the wrong way) and ran at least 3 red lights.  It was spectacular.
My room is small and neat with a tiled bathroom, lovely buttercup yellow walls, and 5th floor view of the surrounding city.  There is a darling little gym downstairs and a pool out back where I intend to regularly beat the heat! On our first day in the city my group ventured out into the sweltering heat in a caravan of tuk tuks to see the Royal Palace and a nearby temple. It was all very exhilarating except for the very large blister I got on my foot . That evening we had a delicious welcome dinner at the hotel, which I followed up with the best cold shower of my life before hitting the hay utterly exhausted.  First day of school on Monday!! Hip hip hurray!!!
You know, it’s interesting, when I begin a trip I can physically feel something stir inside of me.  It is a feeling of awakening that seems to be dormant when I am stationary at home and comes to life in me when I am abroad.  It is what makes me ask strangers at the market how to say things or for directions, or play charades with taxi drivers and airport personnel.  Perhaps it is my body’s chemical reaction to my new surroundings, but it feels like more than that.  It feels like wonder.  Not to say I never have bad days or experiences, I just think it allows the very best version of Madi to come out and play.  More to come soon!! Love and miss you all! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment